Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Look 6779



Pattern Description: New Look Easy Dress




Pattern Sizing:This is a multisized pattern sizes 10-22



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?What I really wanted was the yoke and a A line dress so the silhoette is there but my dress does't really look like the pattern



Were the instructions easy to follow?Instructions were ok but I veered from the path right from the start as I lined the dress and didn't use the facings.



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I was looking for an A Line dress with yoke because I was inspired by a dress while window shopping.

Fabric Used:

Polyester knit from Sew Have Fun

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Pattern alterations? Where shall I start...first the measurements, had I made the dress according to my measurements I would have cut the 22, I cut the 18. New Look is probably the worst offender when it comes to grading for larger sizes...who has 18" shoulders?!! I should have made a full bust alteration before I rotated the dart and turned it into a princess line dress but the dress is full enough below the yoke so it is ok. I traced the dress front and back, cut it apart and added seam allowances. The back yoke was still too big so I cut it apart and added a button and loop closure. Not needed as the dress slips over my head but it took care of the extra fullness in the back yoke. The front yoke is still a little big, there is a pooch of extra fabric at the neckline which I think would be solved by folding out a dart at the neckline on the pattern.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I don't think I'll make this again but I will not be afraid to rotate darts and make alterations. I don't think I could recommend this unless you are prepared to check all the measurements and make adjustments. It's a lot of work for a simple dress.

Conclusion:

I'm ok with the out come, not as formal as the inspiration dress as the hem is coverstitched and a little short but I like the red and the cording look on the seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment